1.28.2010

my super fantastic awesome day

today is amazing!

I am finding oh-so much happiness with the little things today.
all of them.

And if you know me,
you know I am ALL about the little things.
well, and 3+ inch heels..
and those huge purses that confuse men because of how much (and what) you can pull out of them..
and mayyybe some nice big pretty jewels..

 but I digress.
...

I woke up this morning after a few short hours of sleep
and the first thing that I ususally do...
{thanks to the iPhone}
is to check my e-mail.
Much anticipated email responses were there.
{insert excited & happy dance here}
I love getting emails from Desi (of Life or Something like it) & Krissa (of Randomness).
We've been going back and forth a lot lately and it really is the highlight of my morning.
Thanks ladies for making my morning great!

...

I made chili in the slow cooker last night and had a very happy lunch.
Michelle's chili recipe is one for the books.
Especially topped with sour cream & chives.
And a side of sweet tea.
and the book...
that I may or may not have stayed up until 4am reading
until I actually couldn't understand the words anymore -
no, I mean it.
 I was reading and then all of a sudden,
I couldn't make sense of the letters anymore..






...

When I asked grandma if she wanted some chili for lunch...
she said no.
She wanted apple pie.
And she makes a mean pie.
No really -
if pies could laugh,
it would cackle in your face and demean your intentions to stay fit & trim.
...
And so,
{being the wonderful granddaughter that I am}
 I immediately set her to work mixing up the pie crust.
yes, even with a broken arm.
don't let her size fool you.
She's got more spunk than most 20-somethings that I know.
combined.
Take, for example,
her reaction to my camera capturing the moment below...
"get that thing. out. of. my. face."
oh, grandma Opal...





And then I discovered something that I cannot do.
at all.
roll a pie crust.
seriously.
I'm inept.

And I'm usually great in the kitchen.  I promise.
ask my friends.
ask my old boyfriends.
ask my mom.


which reminds me... Jackie -
 please, may I bake you some mini cupcakes for your birthday soiree?
 I found the sweetest (no pun intended) recipes for mini cupcakes
and they are just so darned fancy
 (just like you).
they have names like:
salted caramel chocolate cupcakes
fresh citrus cupcakes with ruby red grapefruit glaze
cappuccino cupcakes
fresh citrus cupcakes with orange buttercream
(i think you get the idea... now wipe the drool off your chin, and keep reading.)



So I guess my pie crust needs work. 
A lot of it.
so I added it to my life list.
one more thing to do.




sad, isn't it?


 
the finished product...








And after cutting into it...
I've officially renamed this from apple pie, to apple crumble...



...

Also... made schnitzel & red cabbage...



served with a side of broccoli casserole & mixed vegetables.



Oh... and did I mention, the whole time in the kitchen,
was dancing to this playlist..



I know.. it's a wide array of artist & genre...
but these fit my mood today.

Oh, and I almost forgot...
These are the wonderful books I got yesterday!



**not including the one I mailed for my swap partner today, I might add.


Was your day just as wonderful??

3 comments:

JacPfef said...

you can make cupcakes.
i want schnitzel & red cabbage, but I must say, the coconut chicken i made tonight was delish.
I'm pretty sure you've already read "Dear John" because I'm 98% sure I got my copy from your room.

kateigh said...

i love that your having an amazing time. (even if i am missing you dearly).
i can not wait to try some of those cupcakes. the ones i really hope jackie would like to share with her favorite neighbor.
and i really can't wait to steal some of your books when you are done reading. cause im running low.

<3

Krissa said...

yay happy day...they are the best...and I love our emails...it brightens my day as well!!! and that food looks so good...even the apple crumble...I love it...I want some!!!
and your list of books...LOVE! let me know how you like Dear John, as I can not wait to see the movie!!!!
Happy Friday!!!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online