9.07.2009

Carrie Goes to Kilimanjaro

I decided that I would volunteer for global community service. Alone.

This is my story.


I first heard about Cross-Cultural Solutions from my sister, Jackie. We had started talking about volunteering abroad with the organization almost 3 years ago. We had checked our schedules with our best friend, Allisen, and as it turned out, we never had the same availability.

Allisen is an early education teacher and after finishing her Masters (congrats Al!), was starting her career. Which means - summers are pretty much the only time for vacations.

Jackie is a (basically) self-taught a-MAZ-ing photographer. I might be partial, just because she's my sister, but you can check out her work here, and I'm sure you'll agree. Her main focus right now is weddings, and guess when wedding season is - yeah, summers.

I, on the other hand, am a licensed insurance broker for a small (but very busy) agency. I've been there for 5 years (as of 09/23/2009). My job is constantly hectic and can be very time-consuming. I've worked close to 50 hour weeks for nearly 4 out of 5 years. I've earned 4 weeks of vacation each year and there really is no "good" time to take time off.

This brings me to Seafood Fest 2009. This is an annual summer party at my Aunt Terri's house. This is where I had a nice long chat with Allisen, Jackie & Lisa (I'm still not 100% on how exactly we're related, but she's my Dad's cousin, and awesome). After my good-long "talking to," I decided that I needed to make some changes in my life. I have to stop waiting for someone to do the things that I want to do and just do them myself. I don't want to be "the best friend" in my own life story, I want to be the main character. I want my own stories. I can't be afraid to be alone in my next steps. I know that my family & friends will always support me in everything that I do.

On the ride home from Seafood Fest '09, I got an e-mail from Cross-Cultural Solutions. I have been getting e-mails on a Semi-Annual basis since originally checking into this program with Allisen & Jackie 3 years ago. I clicked into the website and started looking into it again. This time, thinking only of myself. This program offers various lengths of time volunteering in many different areas. After looking at all of the areas available, I chose Kilimanjaro. I decided that I would volunteer for global community service. Alone.

This is my story.



No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online